If you are ever found in the unfortunate position where you have to hire a criminal defense attorney it is always recommended that you set up a meeting and speak with several different lawyers before making your decision to hire an attorney. If you are accused of a crime, this is a big event in your life and you shouldn’t base your decision solely on the looks of a website or how someone sounds over the telephone. Courtroom and trial experience counts a lot and is an important factor that everyone should take into consideration. Just like purchasing a car or home, you usually don’t buy the first one you look at…you look at a few different options, meet the salespeople involved and then make your decision. So why should hiring a Raleigh criminal defense lawyer be any different?
It is important that you set up a meeting and look your potential criminal defense attorney in the eyes to see if this is the person you want to trust your case and ultimately life with. A criminal conviction will stay with you for your entire life and it is important that you hire a competent and aggressive criminal defense lawyer to represent you. Each year more and more law school graduates enter into the criminal defense practice of law with little or no prior experience handling a criminal case or appearing in a courtroom before a Judge. Make sure you know your criminal defense attorney before you hire them to represent you.
Below are some questions you should ask any criminal defense lawyer before hiring him or her:
- How long have you been practicing criminal law?
- How much experience do you have with my particular criminal charge/issue?
- How long have you been with your current firm?
- How many trials have you had over the past year and what type of cases and how many jury trials have you done in your career?
- What verdicts have you received in your cases that you have tried?
- How many pre-trial motions have you argued before the Court over the past year or so and what were the results of your case?
- What county (location of courthouse) do you primarily practice law?
- Will you be the attorney appearing in court with me on my court date(s)?
- What are your realistic expectations/outcomes for my case- worst case scenario?
- How will I reach you if I have a specific question about my case?
- Do you charge an additional fee if we go to trial or file a pre-trial motion in my case?
If you have been charged with committing a crime in Wake County ranging from misdemeanor or felony drug possession, impaired driving (DUI / DWI), alcohol offenses, felony offenses, assaults to traffic offenses, contact Criminal Defense Attorney Chris Dozier today to set up a free consultation to discuss your criminal defense. Criminal Defense Attorney Chris Dozier has been practicing law for over six years and has experience as both a Wake County Prosecutor and Criminal Defense Attorney. His unique criminal background will allow him to utilize his courtroom experience to your benefit. Chris has tried hundreds of criminal cases before District Court Judges and juries in Superior Court. He will be with you every step of the way in your case, appearing with you for each court date and available to answer your questions throughout this difficult journey.